Freeside Atlanta (est. 2009) is a 501(c)3 non-profit work space built entirely by volunteers. We are a community of makers, tinkerers, engineers, programmers, artists, teachers, and lunatics. As a community, we have built out our space with tools and equipment for electronics, 3D printing, woodworking, metalworking, art, design, classes, and events. Everything you see in our space was donated or built by members.
Our members are engaged in amazing projects and love to share knowledge. We also develop and work with open source and free technology wherever possible, and try to release our creations under variants of the Creative Commons license.
You don't have to be a Freeside member to come to our events or take our classes. We encourage you to come out to the Tuesday night Open House that we have every other week at 7:30pm or to any of the other public classes or events that we have on Meetup. Come check the place out and see if this is a community that you'd be interested in joining!
Freeside Technology Spaces, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, strives to provide a space that inspires collaboration, creativity, teaching, and open projects for the Atlanta community.
We built our space into different areas to consolidate where we work on stuff in the space. You can check out the different areas of our space here. We are located at:
675 Metropolitan Parkway
Atlanta, GA 30310
There are detailed directions to our space to help you find the place.
Freeside by the Numbers
- 50 members and growing!
- 1,200+ makers served in 2012
- 6,000 square feet
- 22 zones of awesomeness
- 1 cat puzzle
Interesting projects going on at our space:
- A <$2000 Off Road Wheelchair art project
- A published white paper for an open collaboration to 3D print CT scans for pre-surgery planning
- An interactive Infinity Mirror Archway art project for Alchemy
- LearnToSolder.org - started by a member for last year's Atlanta Mini Maker Faire
- Gaze Tracking in Rookie and Veteran Surgeons - Another medical collaboration examining how diagnosticians look at x-rays.
- Freeside's ChumpCar Race Car - Join the team and race to victory!
- The JAM (Joy's Art Machine): A machine that gifts art